Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Co. Dublin

30 June 2010

1938 – Former Classic Cinema, Terenure, Dublin

Former cinema, now like many in the suburbs, used as a commercial premises. The building along with a smaller light industrial premises alongside has Art Deco touches. It seated over 700 people and...

27 February 2014

1938 – Irish Sweepstakes Building, Ballsbridge, Co. Dublin

Architect: Robinson & Keefe Office complex built in 1937-38 as the administration centre of the world wide business (and possibly world wide con job) that was the Irish Sweepstakes. Constructed after the previous...

09 June 2010

1939 – Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin

Architect: Bradbury & Evans Fine 1930s hotel which was modernised and extended upwards in the 1990s. In 2007 a Norman Foster designed scheme was proposed that would have meant the demolition of all...

18 February 2010

1939 – Department of Industry and Commerce, Kildare Street, Dublin

Architect: J.R. Boyd Barrett This building was the result of a competition announced in 1935 to design accommodation for new government departments. The state had been using office space scattered all over the...

09 April 2010

1939 – DIT Cathal Brugha Street, Dublin

Architect: Robinson Keefe Built as the College of Domestic Economy for the City of Dublin Vocational Education Committee and now a part of DIT. It has an excellent Art Deco entrance hallway. The...

02 May 2009

1940s – Hendrons, Dominick St., Dublin

Former manufacturing plant, now artist studios and light commercial space.

06 May 2015

1943 – Former Munster & Leinster Bank, Inchicore, Dublin

Architect: McDonnell & Dixon Former branch of the Munster & Leinster Bank, later a part of Allied Irish Banks. McDonnell & Dixon were very much the house architects for the Munster & Leinster...

16 February 2010

1944 – Ffrench-Mullan House, Charlemont Street, Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott Designed and built during The Emergency (Second World War), these flats were intended to be developed along the length of Charlemont Street. However only this block was built. The flats...

21 February 2010

1948 – Guinness Power Station, St. James’s Gate, Dublin

Architect: F.P.M. Woodhouse & Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners On the northern side of James Street, lies the brewery power station, a fine and monumental mid-century industrial building.