Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Co. Dublin

16 November 2011

1755 – Essex Bridge, Dublin

Architect: George Semple An elevation of Essex Bridge, now Grattan Bridge in Dublin, as rebuilt by George Semple in 1755. Begun 19 Jan 1753, and finished 11 May 1755. The East Elevation and...

21 November 2014

1756 – Nos 1-4 Kildare Place, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels / John Ensor Originally Kildare Place consisted of four houses onto a small square bordered by Kildare Street. Nos 2 & 3 were designed by Richard Cassels, and probably executed...

21 September 2012

1757 – Bedford Square, Dublin

Bedford Square was intended as the first scheme of the Wide Streets Commissioners, but was never developed despite appearing on several maps including Rocque’s Map of Dublin. The site at Cork Hill was...

10 February 2010

1757 – St. Mark’s Church, Pearse Street, Dublin

With its main entrance front facing onto Mark Street, St Mark’s is an interesting building set back from the street still within its grassy churchyard. Built between 1729-57, the main front looks unfinished,...

06 December 2013

1758 – Designs for Two Chimney-pieces in Casino, Marino, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Chambers “Chimney pieces in the Lord Viscount Charlemont’s casino at Marino”. Acknowledged as the most important neo-classical building in Ireland, the Casino was designed by Sir William Chambers for Lord...

23 March 2013

1758 – Statue of George II, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Sculptor: John Van Nost the Younger This was the first statue to be erected in St. Stephen’s Green, and was commissioned by Dublin Corporation. The statue depicted King George II in full triumphant...

10 June 2010

1759 – Hatch Street, Dublin

The Leeson family owned this area but they let sites to John Hatch, after whom the street is named, in 1759. Hatch was a lawyer and director of the Royal Canal Co. and...

08 February 2010

1759 – West Front, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Theodore Jacobsen Until recently it was assumed that two english architects Henry Keene and John Sanderson were responsible for the design of the main west front of Trinity College. However newer evidence...

08 February 2010

1760 – Dining Hall, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Hugh Darley In the 1740s Richard Cassels designed and built a Dining Hall on this site replacing an earlier structure. However on two separate occasions, the vaults collapsed and it was eventually...