Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Co. Dublin

27 March 2009

1769 – St. Catherine’s Church, Thomas St., Dublin

Architect: John Smyth Originally built in 1185, the church was rebuilt in its present form in the 18th century by John Smyth (or Smith). Maurice Craig maintained that St. Catherine’s has “the finest...

23 March 2011

1769 – St. John the Evangelist Church, Fishamble St., Dublin

Architect: George Ensor A church with a 12th century foundation, rebuilt several times, notably in 1681. In the mid 18th-century a committee was formed to raise funds for yet another renovation of the...

05 February 2010

1771 – Royal Hibernian Military School Chapel, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Cooley Built as the chapel for the Royal Hibernian Military School, this wonderful little building is now in the grounds of St Mary’s Hospital of which the original buildings of the...

09 June 2010

1771 – Royal Irish Academy of Music No. 36 Westland Row, Dublin

The home of the Royal Irish Academy of Music, this is a fine building with attractive round-headed windows on the first floor. In 1848 a number of musical enthusiasts in Dublin formed an...

15 September 2012

1771 – The Coombe Lying-in Hospital, Dublin

On 10 October 1770 Lord Brabazon laid the foundation stone of the new Hospital in the Coombe. The hospital, known as The Meath Hospital and County Dublin Infirmary, was opened the following year....

18 June 2010

1772 – North Great George’s Street, Dublin

Mount Eccles, the home of Sir John Eccles, Lord Mayor in 1710, stood where the Lorreto Convent, North Great George’s Street stands now. The street was originally a driveway leading to the house....

09 January 2012

1773 – Blue Coat School, Blackhall Place, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Ivory Thomas Ivory’s design for the Blue Coat School, Blackhall Place (now the Law Society) with the sadly unbuilt tower. Ivory was selected as the architect of the school after an...

26 January 2010

1773 – Casino, Marino, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Chambers Acknowledged as the most important neo-classical building in Ireland, the Casino was designed by Sir William Chambers for Lord Charlemont as a garden pavilion at his Marino Estate. The...

14 December 2011

1773 – Hibernian Marine School, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Cooley The Hibernian Marine School was founded in 1766 and the primary aim of the school was free education for the sons of seafarers that lost their lives or suffered disabilities...