Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Co. Dublin

19 September 2012

1250c. – Bullock Castle, Co. Dublin

Built in the mid 13th century by the Cistercian monks of the Abbey of St. Mary in Dublin to protect the harbour for local fishermen. The castle building formed a gate into a...

19 September 2012

1260 – Baldongan Castle & Church, Co. Dublin

The castle was constructed in the mid 13th Century, possibly by the Knights Templar, rectangular in plan with towers on each corner. The church was built in the 15th century and was also...

19 September 2012

1290c – Baggotrath Castle, Dublin

Baggotrath Castle was built in the late thirteenth century, in the vicinity of what is now Upper Baggot Street. It was largely destroyed on the eve of the Battle of Rathmines during English...

12 January 2013

12th C. – St Michael le Pole, Dublin

St Michael le Pole, between Chancery Lane and Ship Street, “St Michael of the Pool” overlooked the “Black Pool” from which Dubhlinn took its name. The round tower stood for almost 700 years...

18 December 2013

1308 – Old City Conduit, James St., Dublin

A former water fountain or conduit constructed in the James Street area of Dublin. In 1244, the Dodder river was diverted at Firhouse and a canal known as the city watercourse was built...

25 March 2013

1358 – Long Choir, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

During the 1350s a major extension to the cathedral was undertaken by John de St Paul, Archbishop of Dublin. By 1358, the nave of the cathedral was partly in use for secular purposes...

09 June 2010

13th C. – St Audoen’s Gate, Dublin City Walls, High Street, Dublin

The two remaining stretches of the City Wall visible above ground can be seen at St Audoen’s Church and at the nearby Cornmarket although portions of the city wall, gates and towers have...

28 January 2010

1450 – Howth Castle, Co. Dublin

The current building is not the original Howth Castle, which was on the high slopes by the village and the sea. The English architect Sir Edwin Lutyens restyled a 14th century castle built...

28 January 2010

1450 – St. Mary’s Community House, Howth, Co. Dublin

The nearby church of St Mary was collegiate and it was here that the community lived. In poor repair for many years, the building has some fine details including the window illustrated. Recently...

Skip to toolbar