Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Co. Dublin

09 December 2011

1682 – Tholsel, Dublin

Architect: The name “Tholsel” is derived from two old English words: “toll”, meaning tax; and “sael”, or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the middle ages it served as court house,...

13 April 2010

1686 – St Michan’s Church of Ireland, Church Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Robinson This structure dates from 1685-86 and was built on the site of an earlier structure founded by the Danes in 1095. Originally St Michan’s was built to serve the...

07 April 2015

1690s – Barrack Bridge, Dublin

Barrack Bridge was originally a wooden structure built in 1670, and was the second bridge across the river Liffey. During its construction, a number of men attempted to destroy it on several occasions...

17 October 2010

1699 – West Front, Trinity College Dublin

Illustration of the original west front of Trinity College, as illustrated in Charles Brookings map of 1728. Demolished in the 1750s. According to Edward McParland’s Public Architecture in Ireland 1680-1760, the wings were...

23 February 2015

16th C. – Finglaswood House, Finglas, Co. Dublin

Elizabethan house, also known as King James’ Castle. Described in The Neighbourhood of Dublin, in 1912 as: “Due south of Finglas, and situated on the green banks of the Tolka, is the conspicuous...

08 February 2010

1700 – The Rubrics, Trinity College Dublin

The Rubrics are the oldest existing buildings in Trinity College and were built around 1700. Originally part of a quadrangle of similar buildings, this is the sole remaining block and closes the square...

13 March 2012

1700c – Last Cage-work House, Dublin

Drawing of the last surviving cage-work house in Dublin on the corner of Castle Street and Werburgh Street, demolished around 1812. This building was probably post-medieval in date, but typical of many houses...

24 June 2014

1700s – Library Square, Trinity College Dublin

From Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837 “The second quadrangle, called the Library-square, is 265 feet in length and 214 feet in breadth. Three sides of it are occupied by uniform ranges...

15 November 2013

1700s – Northern Range of the Rubrics, Trinity College Dublin

Demolished to make way for the Graduates Memorial Building of 1902, the Rubrics once formed a quadrangle of similar buildings. One range remains to the east, but with the addition of dutch gables...