Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Co. Dublin

13 January 2015

1730s – Design for Stillorgan House, Co. Dublin

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce Around 1730, Sir Edward Lovett Pearce designed a replacement of Stillorgan House for the 2nd Viscount Allen. It was never built, although some of his designs for the gardens...

08 June 2012

1730s – La Touche Bank, Cork Hill, Dublin

The La Touches were a Huguenots family from the Loire, who fled to Holland on the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. They later moved to Ireland, becoming involved in the weaving trade...

08 February 2010

1732 – Long Room Library, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh The old Library of Trinity College (old because of a newer neighbour built by Ahrends Burton Koralak) is Thomas Burgh’s masterpiece. A huge building, it originally towered over the university...

25 April 2013

1733 – The Deanery House, Fishamble Street, Dublin

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce Designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce for Dean Welbore Ellis. Although it looked like a single house, it in-fact contained three houses, one each for the Dean, Chancellor and...

08 February 2010

1734 – Printing House, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels This is probably Richard Cassel’s first independent work in Dublin. It is a little building with a doric temple front, but unusual for Cassels in that the columns are true...

21 January 2010

1736 – Newbridge House, Donabate, Co. Dublin

Newbridge House is a very fine example of a Georgian mansion within Newbridge Demesne Regional Park. It was built by Archbishop Charles Cobbe in 1736 and remained the family home of the Cobbe...

21 January 2010

1738 – Ardgillan Castle, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Originally an 18th century house with a two storey bow fronted centre and single storey wings. In the early 19th century, the central bow was raised a story and castellated as was the...

21 February 2010

1738 – Newman House, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Like Iveagh House further along St Stephen’s Green, Newman House is obviously two houses planted together due to the lack of a unifying facade. The smaller house (No. 85) was...

13 December 2013

1739 – Frescati House, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Built for the provost of Trinity College, John Hely Hutchinson, it was later acquired in the 1750s by the Fitzgerald dukes of Leinster. rescati became one of their three principal residences alongside Leinster...