Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Co. Dublin

10 June 2010

1933 – Former DeLuxe Cinema, Camden Street, Dublin

Architect: Jones & Kelly Former cinema now a nightclub and hotel, the exterior of the DeLuxe Cinema is mostly intact. There is a fine interior also still largely intact, having survived conversion to...

15 October 2013

1934 – 38 Greenfield Rd, Mount Merrion, Dublin

Architect: Rupert Jones Part of Mount Merrion Park development built for Mr & Mrs Vaughan Dempsey. Designed by Rupert Jones of Jones & Kelly. The estate at Mount Merrion started to be sold...

08 February 2011

1934 – Bull Island Shelters, Clontarf, Co. Dublin

Architect: Herbert G. Simms The bathing shelters and Kiosk on the Bull Wall were designed by Herbert Simms, (Housing architect to Dublin Corporation from 1932 until 1948), in 1934. Including 17 structures along...

17 September 2012

1934 – Gasholder, Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin

This massive gasholder structure dominated the Dublin Skyline for many years. Constructed by the Alliance and Dublin Consumers Gas Company at the corner of Sir John Rogerson’s Quay and Cardiff Lane. Demolished by...

26 January 2010

1934 – Rathmines Post Office, Dublin

Architect: Howard Cooke – Office of Public Works Quality building with Art Deco overtones, the Post Office (and formerly Telephone Exchange) in Rathmines is a much overlooked building at a very busy traffic...

10 June 2010

1934 – St. Audoen’s House City Council Flats, Bridge Street, Dublin

Architect: Herbert G. Simms Like similar flat complexes built by the City Council Housing Department in the 1930s, this development is of a high quality. Running along Cook Street, the complex turns the...

13 April 2010

1935 – Chancery Place Flats, Dublin

Architect: Herbert G. Simms A small complex similar in quality to other City Council built housing from this period. Many large schemes were built throughout the city as well as smaller projects like...

10 February 2010

1935 – Nos. 35-36 Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: Arnold F. Hendy Built as the Pearl Life Assurance building, it was gutted and merged into one large development in the late 1990s. This meant the demolition of the interiors of half...

10 February 2010

1935 – Nos.1-3 Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes On an important corner site adjoining the Bank of Ireland in College Green, this office building is curiously un-noticeable. With its brickwork and stone trimmings, the building seems modern...