Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

07 January 2010

1734 – Barlow House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Richard Cassels or Francis Bindon A fine mid eighteenth century built by Alderman James Barlow. With five bays on three floors and a basement, it is a substantial Georgian residence. It has...

07 January 2010

1740 – The Alleys, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Behind St Peter’s Church of Ireland are these attractive houses built as a refuge for widows of clergy. There are four terraces of houses, each house of four bays and two storeys. The...

07 January 2010

1752 – St. Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Hugh Darley Built on the site of an earlier church, St Peters is a fabulous example of a Georgian church. It has been described as “probably the finest provincial Georgian church in...

07 January 2010

1765 – Mayoralty House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Hugh Darley An important civic building at the time of its construction, the Mayoralty House has been in use as a commercial premises for decades. Built of limestone ashlar with trimmings of...

07 January 2010

1770 – Tholsel, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: George Darley / W.H. Byrne Used for over one hundred years as a bank branch, the Tholsel is a stern and forbidding building in appearance. It is a tall and narrow building,...

17 August 2015

1777 – Drumcar House, Co. Louth

Built in 1777, it stayed with the McClintock family until the 1940s. In 1948, it became St. Mary’s Hospital, a hospital for the mentally ill, and later a Saint John of God hospital....

17 August 2015

1780s – Glydecourt, Tallinstown, Co. Louth

A very long seventeen-bay two-storey house with attic, built c. 1780, later remodeled and extended. Originally built as a Georgian house, the house was remodeled around 1868 with curvilinear gables and gablets, and...

09 March 2013

1785 – Rokeby Hall, Dunleer, Co. Louth

Architect: Thomas Cooley Designs for Rokeby Hall by Thomas Cooley but supervised by Francis Johnston after his death, for Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh. Robinson has previously hired both Cooley and Johnston for...

17 August 2015

1785 – Stephenstown House, Co. Louth

Built in 1785 by Matthew Fortescue for his new bride Marian McClintock. A square Georgian house of 2 storeys over a basement 5 bays long and 5 bays deep. Extended in 1820 by...


Skip to toolbar