Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

07 January 2010

1796 – The Corn Exchange, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Francis Johnston Originally designed by Francis Johnston who lived in Drogheda from 1786 to 1793 while working on a commission from Primate Robinson. This building today houses Drogheda’s council offices. It is...

06 January 2010

1800 – Abbeyview House, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Fine house, sympathetically extended around 1900, with ornate central doorway and large window openings. The door surround is particularly notable and offers a focal point to the façade.

07 January 2010

1807 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda, Co. Louth

A simple First Fruits church from 1807, with a three bay nave with pointed windows with Y tracery. It has a rectangular sanctuary at the eastern end. The tower is of three stages...

07 January 2010

1811 – Former Wesleyan Methodist Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

An unusual church built in 1811 and further renovated in 1911. A simple rectangular building with a three bay classical façade. The simplicity of this façade has ornate pointed windows with sandstone tracery,...

06 January 2010

1814 – Old St. Marys Church of Ireland, Ardee, Co. Louth

Architect: C.H. Sillery The present nave and chancel are of nineteenth century construction but incorporate medieval fragments. It was repaired and rebuilt preserving only portions of tower of previous church – possibly to...

06 January 2010

1815 – Philipstown Mill, Dundalk, Co. Louth

In 1815 James Kieran and his brother William built Philipstown Mills, approximately three miles from Dundalk at a cost of £30,000 – £40,000. These extensive watermills took advantage of the adjacent Castletown River....

07 January 2010

1816 – St John’s Home, Drogheda, Co. Louth

St John’s Home is made of two ranges of buildings. Each building contains two houses of three bays and two storeys. The buildings are linked by a screen wall. The gables of the...

06 January 2010

1819 – Courthouse, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Edward Parke Designed by Edward Park and supposedly based on the portico design and dimensions of the Temple of Theseus in Athens, Dundalk Courthouse is a fabulous classical revival building. Its main...

06 January 2010

1821 – Former Church of Ireland, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Donated by the Church of Ireland to Carlingford this restored medieval church (the former Church of the Holy Trinity) is also known as the Holy Trinity Heritage Centre. The tower is an earlier...


Skip to toolbar