Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

07 January 2010

1827 – Presbyterian Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Austin Nicholls Unusually built in a Gothic Revival style (Presbyterians tended to favour classical designs at this time), and like most public buildings and churches in Drogheda, it is faced with limestone...

06 January 2010

1829 – Former Catholic Church, Ardee, Co. Louth

Now a furniture store, the former Catholic church is a simple structure with few architectural pretensions. It was one of the earliest churches to be completed in the post- Emancipation period.

07 January 2010

1829 – Former Franciscan Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

No trace of the medieval Franciscan Friary of Drogheda survives. In 1798 the Franciscans moved to the present site in Laurence Street. In 1829 work began on a new church, which was opened...

07 January 2010

1830 – Merchant’s Quay, Drogheda, Co. Louth

This handsome former corn and flour mill displays the balanced proportions and fine detailing typical of nineteenth century architectural developments.

06 January 2010

1834 – Former Louth Hospital, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Thomas Smith Designed by English architect Thomas Smith who came to work in County Louth in the early to mid 19th century. Now in use as extra accommodation for the nearby Grammar...

06 January 2010

1839 – Barmeath Castle, Dunleer, Co. Louth

Architect: John B. Keane / Thomas Smith Originally the site of a medieval Castle of the Pale, it was enlarged in the mid 18th century into a Georgian residence. At this stage it...

17 August 2015

1840 – Ravensdale Park, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Thomas Duff Constructed in an austere Italianate style, by Thomas Duff of Nerwy, For 1st Baron Clermont. Later changes by Lanyon & Lynn in 1859 with further additions. It was partly two...

06 January 2010

1845 – No.16 Park Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: George Halpin / Millar & Symes Designed for the Bank of Ireland by George Halpin, this building was remodelled for Millar and Symes in the first part of the twentieth century. Banded...

07 January 2010

1852 – Railway Station, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: George Papworth A fine little railway station that was the end of the line before construction of the viaduct. Extended in recent years to serve the increasing Dublin commuter market, the station...


Skip to toolbar