Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

06 January 2010

1853 – Garda Station, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Neville Designed as the County Gaol by John Neville, and now in use as the town’s Garda Station. This is a fine if overblown piece of architecture. Neville was the County...

07 January 2010

1855 – Railway Viaduct, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William Evans & James Barton Built between 1851 and 1855, the Drogheda Railway Viaduct is an impressive feat of engineering – equally impressive from a train as from down below. Until the...

06 January 2010

1858 – Knockabbey Castle, Louth, Co. Louth

Architect: William Caldbeck When it was first built in 1399, it was called Thomastown Castle and consisted only of a towerhouse. Reflecting their prestige and position, the Bellews, who had lived here since...

06 January 2010

1858 – No.70 Clanbrassil Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Neville Built by Nicholas Martin & Company as a wine store known as the ‘Wine Vaults’, the building originally featured an impressive rusticated ground floor shopfront in the style of the...

06 January 2010

1859 – Town Hall, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Murray Built in 1859 for the Corn Exchange Company, but the cost of building it put the company into liquidation and so the Town Commissioners bought it for 4,000 pounds. The...

07 January 2010

1860 – AXA Insurance, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William G. Murray The former Provincial Bank is built of Limestone ashlar with an elaborate façade at street-level. The ground floor façade has paired polished granite columns with lush foliage capitals. Above...

06 January 2010

1860 – Church of St Nicholas, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Murray Small Roman Catholic church on an important site in the town but sadly lacking any sort of impressive presence. The church was originally built with an unusual tall slender steeple...

26 August 2015

1863 – Parson’s Mart, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: J.J. Lyons Parson’s Mart, a commercial warehouse constructed by 1863. Image published in The Dublin Builder, of which the architect John J. Lyons was a founder.

07 January 2010

1865 – Whitworth Hall, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William Barre Built by Benjamin Whitworth for the benefit of the citizens of Drogheda, this vigourous composition in Lombardo-Romanesque is a good contribution to the street-scape. It cost over 4,000 pounds at...


Skip to toolbar