Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

07 January 2010

1866 – Augustinian Friary, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Michael Moran Unfinished, the Augustinian church should have received a spire, a stumpy tower to the right of the main fa├žade was all that was completed. The exterior is finished in a...

06 January 2010

1867 – Dominican Church and Friary, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Murray Both the church and the priory were designed by local architect John Murray. Originally the church was intended to have a tall spire to dominate the composition but it was...

07 January 2010

1867 – St. Peter’s Glebe House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Sited within the grounds of St Peter’s, this Glebe house is of two periods. To the rear is a three storey building with a pediment dated 1759. The part of the house shown,...

20 April 2015

1868 – Christian Brothers School, King St., Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin The foundation stone was laid April 19th 1867, with the school opening on March 28th 1868. Designed by George C. Ashlin of Pugin & Ashlin, and later extended to...

06 January 2010

1869 – Presbyterian Church, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Architect: Robert Young Simple little Gothic Revival Presbyterian Church in a combination of limestone and granite masonry, with lancet windows and an unusual filial on the apex of the facade.

06 January 2010

1873 – No.63 Clanbrassil Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Building with skillfully designed and executed details on a rendered facade.

02 April 2013

1873 – School, Euston Street, Greenore, Co. Louth

Built in 1873 to provide educational facilities for the children of the workers at the large port and railway facilities. The village of Greenore, at the mouth of Carlingford Lough, grew up in...

07 January 2010

1874 – Cord Burial Ground Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

A small gothic mortuary chapel with a particularly high pitched roof. The building is finished in rusticated limestone. Dedicated 21 June 1874. In the corner of the graveyard is the east gable of...

07 January 2010

1875 – Former Convent, Drogheda, Co. Louth

This attractive former convent and school displays varied decorative detailing from the elegant dog-tooth mouldings to the more robust rock-faced plinth. This decoration together with the contrasting brick and stone construction make this...