Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

23 June 2014

1886 – Unbuilt Design for St. Kevins, South Circular Road, Dublin

Architect: Albert E. Murray Second placed design in competition to design new Church of Ireland on the South Circular Road. The competition was won by Sir Thomas Drew, and his striking church with...

08 December 2011

1886 – Unbuilt designs for St. Kevin’s Church, South Circular Road, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew The Church of Ireland built a fine gothic church with red sandstone trim to designs by Sir Thomas Drew who produced two alternate designs, illustrated here. The runner-up entry...

04 May 2008

1887 – Greek Orthodox Church, Arbour Hill, Dublin

Architect: George Smith A former National School, the small building is now the home of the Greek Orthodox congregation in Dublin. An external mosaic icon has been added to a closed up window,...

11 September 2013

1887 – Central Hotel, Exchequer St., Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes A Dublin landmark, the Central Hotel was opened in 1887. Extended several times in the early 20th century, it was unusual in Dublin at the time of its construction...

03 May 2010

1887 – The Paddocks, Leopardstown Park, Co. Dublin

Architect: W.D. Caroe Published in The Building News, September 30th 1887. Built at Leopardstown Racecource and later demolished.

14 December 2009

1888 – Cardinal MacCabe Memorial, Glasnevin, Dublin

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Designed by George Coppinger Ashlin to upstage the recently completed church by J.J. McCarthy who was his main rival for Irish church commissions. The effigy of the cardinal is by...

17 September 2009

1888 – Floating Swimming Baths, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin

Architect: William Kaye-Parry Proposal for a floating swimming baths for Dun Laoghaire harbour.

18 February 2010

1888 – Former Dockrells, South Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: W.H. Byrne Former hardware store, now sub-divided into multiple premises. Slated for redevelopment with facade retention and the addition of an attic storey.

17 September 2009

1888 – Maynooth College Chapel, Co. Kildare

Architect: J.J McCarthy / William Hague Started by 1875 by J.J. McCarthy, often called the Irish Pugin, and finished after his death and the death of his successor William Hague in 1905. Hague,...