Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

26 April 2008

1888 – No.54 Dame Street, Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes Now rendered, the building was finished in brick and sanstone dressings upon completion. Designed for Kenny & Owens, merchant tailors, this must have been a fine store in its...

11 September 2014

1888 – Nurses Home, Peter Street, Dublin

Architect: Albert E. Murray Former Nurses’ Home for the Adelaide Hospital in Dublin. “Our illustration with this number is of a recent addition to that valuable institution, the Adelaide Hospital, Peter-street. The exterior...

28 February 2014

1888 – Design for Northern Assurance Co., Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Entrant in an architectural competition to design offices for the Northern Fire and Life Assurance Company. Published in The Irish Builder, December 1 1888. Described as “The style is a...

03 March 2014

1888 – Second Design for Northern Assurance Co., Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Entrant in an architectural competition to design offices for the Northern Fire and Life Assurance Company. O’Callaghan entered two external designs, an approach that was common enough in Victorian architectural...

24 April 2011

1889 – Alexandra College, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin

Architect: William Kaye-Parry Alexandra College was founded in 1874 at No.6 Earlsfort Terrace. By 1879, a new hall and theatre was constructed alongside. Over time, they acquired several more houses and by 1889...

17 September 2012

1889 – Cassidy Monument, Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin

Architect: Charles Geoghegan From The Irish Builder: “The contact for the erection of the monument to the late Matthew Cassidty Esq., an illustration of which is given with our present number, has been...

01 March 2014

1889 – Design for Ulster Bank, College Green, Dublin

Architect: James J. Farrall Unsuccessful competition entry to design new Ulster Bank for College Green. Placed second, and even more over-blown Victorian than the building constructed and eventually wrecked by the bank.

26 April 2012

1889 – No.6 Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: James J. Farrall Rebuilt by the architect James J. Farrall in 1889, who had his own office in one of the upper floors.

02 April 2014

1889 – Nos. 16-17 Suffolk Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Now demolished and replaced with a office building in 1957 for the Friends’ Provident & Century Assurance Co. “With present issue we give a view of 16 and 17 Suffolk-street,...