Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

31 December 2009

1895 – Gainsborough House, Northgate St., Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Unusual arrangement of bay window and shopfront set into a tall flattened archway, flanked by a round headed window. With some cleaning and sympathetic design, this could be a really fine addition to...

23 April 2013

1895 – Railway Station, Carlisle Pier, Dun Laoghaire

Recently demolished, this Victorian railwayshed lay largely hidden by a 1950s passenger terminal. Originally trains met the ferries coming in from the UK via a railway spur from the main line. When the...

22 July 2015

1895 – St. Gabriel’s National School, Cowper Street, Dublin

Architect: Walter G. Doolin St Gabriel’s National Schools opened in 1895. Originally, a separate Boys and Girls school, St Gabriel’s amalgamated into one mixed national school in 1996. The original school building, illustrated,...

18 February 2010

1895 – The Stags Head, Dame Court, Dublin

Architect: Alfred I. McGloughlin One of Dublin’s most lavish late Victorian pubs, The Stags Head was built in 1895. It is for a reason that Dublin barmen were known as curates and this...

19 February 2010

1895 – Upper Baggot Street, Dublin

One side of Upper Baggot Street has been mostly rebuilt or a mixture of architectural periods. The northern side of the street is a fairly unified Victorian streetscape with some fine shopfronts and...

11 June 2010

1896 – Dolphin House, Essex Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Originally the Dolphin Hotel, a famous Dublin hostelry, this has now been converted to office space for the courts service. A fine Victorian exterior with much decoration including a very...

07 January 2010

1896 – Firstactive Bank, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architects: Walter G. Doolin Originally built as a branch of the Munster and Leinster Bank, this building by Walter G. Doolinis a hybrid of styles. The ground floor has an arcade of tall...

26 January 2010

1896 – Former Rathmines Town Hall, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Around the city centre of Dublin was many smaller independent towns including Rathmines. Although now considered part of the city centre, Rathmines boasts the most impressive of the townhalls...

31 December 2009

1897 – Former Library, Fr. Mathew Hall, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

The old library, which was in Fr. Mathew Hall since the 1950s, has now been vacated and Keith Williams Architects have done a feasibility study for its future use as an art gallery....


Skip to toolbar