Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

17 September 2009

1900 – Nurses’ Home for Royal City of Dublin Hospital

Architect: Albert E. Murray Designed as the nurses’ home for Royal City of Dublin Hospital on nearby Baggot Street, this is now a hotel. “This is being erected in St. Mary’s-road, the recreation...

01 April 2014

1900 – Post Office, Curragh Camp, Co. Kildare

Architect: Robert Cochrane Post office in the centre of the Curragh military camp. The building has a series of large round-headed windows on the main level, the larger windows being in the public...

06 January 2010

1900 – Post Office, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Robert Cochrane A handsome Arts and Crafts influenced post office, by Robert Cochrane of the Board of Public Works, which offers a pleasing contrast to the Classical facades of neighbouring buildings. The...

27 January 2010

1900 – Queen Victoria Fountain, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Erected in DĂșn Laoghaire in 1900 to commemorate the visit to Ireland of Queen Victoria, and seriously damaged in the 1980s, this fountain was recently restored. The fountain was one of a large...

29 March 2012

1900 – Royal Triumphal Archway, Leeson Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Temporary gateway erected for the visit of Queen Victoria to Dublin in 1900. A ceremonial affair, the Queen was to enter the city boundaries and be given the keys...

28 January 2010

1900 – Seaside Terrace, Sutton, Co. Dublin

A fine terrace in good condition with varied decorative features. One side has an ornate latticed veranda to ground floor. with a decorative turret and gable to attic windows. The other side is...

16 October 2014

1900 – Water Tower, Curragh Camp, Co. Kildare

Architect: Richard Randall Large brick water tower, eighty-five feet high and 35 feet square. Randall was a Surveyor in the War Department, and stationed at the Curragh Camp from around 1885 until his...

01 February 2010

1900 – Whooley’s Pharmacy, Sandymount, Dublin

Originally built as a Chandler’s shop, the Art Nouveau facade was added around 1900 to add light to the interior. Has since been adapted to a restaurant and now a chemist’s shop.

21 March 2013

1901 – Dublin Bread Company, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: George F. Beckett A massively overscaled building on Lower O’Connell Street, and a landmark for only 15 years. A popular restaurant at first floor level, withe smoking rooms and recessed balconies on...