Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

05 December 2014

1916 – Fr. Mathew Square, Church Street, Dublin

Architect: C.J. McCarthy Housing scheme for Dublin Corporation by the City Architect on site bounded by Church St, Beresford St, Mary’s La & N King St consisting of 4-roomed houses, 3-roomed houses and...

02 February 2010

1916 – St Patrick’s Church, Ringsend, Dublin

Architect: W.H. Byrne & Son Fine early 20th century Gothic revival church on an awkward site which the architect has made the most of by placing the tower and spire along the roadside...

08 April 2010

1917 – Manfield Chambers, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Batchelor & Hicks On the corner of O’Connell Street and Middle Abbey Street, Manfield Chambers is a commercial premises with a branch of Clarks on the ground level and various offices above....

07 April 2010

1917 – No.3 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Francis Bergin Supposedly built with girders salvaged from the wreck of the GPO, No.3 is part of a cohesive terrace of red brick buildings with a continuous cornice. Notable for its large...

08 April 2010

1917 – The Oval, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: L.A. McDonnell A well known Dublin bar, the Oval has been refurbished inside, but the exterior remains intact. An unusual façade at street level is topped by a two storey bay window....

08 April 2010

1919 – Easons, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: T.J. Ruthven Destroyed in the 1916 Rising, this is the Abbey Street façade of their O’Connell Street store. An austere stone finish with shallow relief decoration masks a steel structure.

21 February 2010

1919 – Gainsboro House, Suffolk Street, Dublin

Architect: Frederick Hayes Good example of early 20th century Dublin commercial building. Many building similar in style were built in the Abbey Street area during its reconstruction after the Civil War.

22 March 2011

1919 – Munster & Leinster Bank, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: McDonnell & Dixon Fine classical bank building turning a corner elegantly from O’Connell Street onto Abbey Street. The relief sculpture over the door was by George A. Power. No longer in use...

17 August 2013

1919 – No. 13 O’Connell Street Lower, Dublin

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Built after the previous branch of the Hibernian Bank was destroyed in the fighting during the 1916 Easter Rising. The previous building was by O’Neill & Byrne and was...