Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

06 October 2015

1929 – Catholic Emancipation Centenary, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Built for celebrations to mark the centenary of Catholic Emancipation. A Pontifical High Mass in the Phoenix Park, on Sunday 24 June 1929, was attended by 300,000 people.

18 February 2010

1929 – Former Bank, South Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: Frederick Jermyn Former bank building, now converted into a bar. Constructed in 1929 for the National Bank. Jermyn was principal assistant to J.F. Fuller before going into partnership with him in 1916,...

26 April 2010

1929 – Former Grand Cinema, Fairview, Dublin

Architect: Henry J. Lyons Former cinema, now missing most of its auditorium after the rear half of the building was demolished. The former balcony level still exists as a private screening cinema, after...

19 February 2010

1929 – Kiosk, Leeson Street, Dublin

Architect: Michael Moynihan Formerly a Tea Room and Toilets block with Kiosk shop – only the Kiosk is still in operation. This little building has some fine brickwork and a decorative Dublin coat-of-arms...

06 May 2013

1929 – Our Lady of the Wayside Church, Kilternan, Co. Dublin

Architect: Kaye-Parry, Ross & Hendy Designed by Arnold Francis Hendy of Kaye-Parry, Ross & Hendy and constructed in timber. A simple chapel, the interior has a curved vaulted ceiling with two rows of...

20 January 2010

1929 – Pembroke Library, Anglesea Road, Dublin

Architect: Arnold F. Hendy A graceful little library with a rather unfortunate porch attached. This small brick library just off Merrion Road and surrounded by RDS property has an interesting central bay. This...

07 April 2010

1929 – Savoy Cinema, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: F.C. Mitchell Designed in the same stripped Classical style as the adjacent Gresham Hotel and Hammam Chambers, the Savoy was once one of the great “atmospherics” – the massive interior decorated on...

02 May 2013

1930 – Church of the Four Masters, Friary, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Jones & Kelly A twentieth century church with a Hiberno-Romanesque design including a round tower, Romanesque doorways and paired round-headed window openings. The interior has round-headed arches dividing the nave from the...

03 May 2008

1930 – Dunlop Building, Stephen St., Dublin

A fine building on a gently curving site with Art Deco detailing added as offices to existing factory. The single bay building with bay window marks the entrance to the main factory, which...