Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

09 March 2013

1731 – Church of Saint Lachtan, Freshford, Co. Kilkenny.

The site of a church from 1100; however all that is left is the beautiful Hiberno-Romanesque architectural porch and doorway. The remainder of the present church was built for Protestant worship in 1731....

18 February 2014

1731 – Furness House, Naas, Co. Kildare

Architect: Francis Bindon The 3-bay centre block is of cut ashlar limestone, with pilasters and lions around the door. Attributed to Francis Bindon. In 1783 two wings were added and in 1795 a...

30 September 2012

1731 – Summerhill, Co. Meath

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce / Richard Cassels Summerhill House was a 100 roomed country house which was the ancestral seat of the Langford Rowley family. They owned large amounts of land in counties...

08 February 2010

1732 – Long Room Library, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh The old Library of Trinity College (old because of a newer neighbour built by Ahrends Burton Koralak) is Thomas Burgh’s masterpiece. A huge building, it originally towered over the university...

26 March 2013

1733 – Desart Court, Callan, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce A Palladian house of two storeys over a basement, joined to two two-storey wings by curved sweeps from around 1733, and attributed to Edward Lovett Pearce. The centre block...

25 April 2013

1733 – The Deanery House, Fishamble Street, Dublin

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce Designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce for Dean Welbore Ellis. Although it looked like a single house, it in-fact contained three houses, one each for the Dean, Chancellor and...

07 January 2010

1734 – Barlow House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Richard Cassels or Francis Bindon A fine mid eighteenth century built by Alderman James Barlow. With five bays on three floors and a basement, it is a substantial Georgian residence. It has...

08 February 2010

1734 – Printing House, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels This is probably Richard Cassel’s first independent work in Dublin. It is a little building with a doric temple front, but unusual for Cassels in that the columns are true...

21 January 2010

1736 – Newbridge House, Donabate, Co. Dublin

Newbridge House is a very fine example of a Georgian mansion within Newbridge Demesne Regional Park. It was built by Archbishop Charles Cobbe in 1736 and remained the family home of the Cobbe...