Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

09 June 2010

1957 – Dublin Corporation Unbuilt Proposal, Wood Quay, Dublin

Architect: Jones & Kelly The site at Wood Quay had been earmarked as a site for the headquarters of Dublin Corporation since the 1950s. Many schemes had already been proposed including this when...

02 April 2011

1957 – Nos. 16-17 Suffolk Street, Dublin

Architect: W.M. Mitchell & Sons Mid century office building that replaced two ornate Victorian commercial buildings by J.J. O’Callaghan. Built for Friends’ Provident & Century Assurance Co.

31 December 2009

1957 – St. Mary’s Church, Coolfancy, Co. Wicklow

Simple barnlike church with rendered exterior and small belfry on gable. Largely rebuilt in the 1950s.

07 April 2010

1959 – Dublin Bus, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Brendan Ellis & G.P. O’Shea An infill building on the western side of O’Connell Street, the Dublin Bus offices was originally built for its parent company Coras Iompair Eireann. The façade features...

22 January 2010

1959 – North Terminal, Dublin Airport

Architect: Department of Transport and Power Interesting little mid-century modern building with sculpted roof profile. Now in use as offices. The original terminal was planned to handle a maximum of 250,000 passengers per...

04 January 2012

1960s – DIT Engineering Workshops, Linen Hall, Dublin

Architect: Byrne, Whelan and Associates Enginnering workshops in a Brutalist style buried in a mixed complex of buildings off Bolton Street. Largely unknown, it is a relatively small building with a strong visual...

02 May 2009

1960s – Social Welfare Offices, North Cumberland Street, Dublin

25 June 2014

1960s – The Pearl Bar, Fleet St., Dublin

Possibly built to designs of architect and sculptor Gary Trimble. Also believed that Signa, an Irish design group led by Michael Scott may have had some input into the facade. The Pearl was...

05 December 2014

1960s – Unbuilt twin for O’Connell Bridge House, Dublin

Architect: Desmond Fitzgerald After O’Connell Bridge House was constructed in 1965 on the eastern side, it was suggested that a twin be built on the site of the Ballast Office on the western...