Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

01 November 2014

1739 – Carton, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Architect: Richard Cassels / Richard Morrison In 1739, the 19th Earl of Kildare employed Richard Castle to build the existing house replacing an earlier buildng. Castle (originally Cassels) was responsible for many of...

13 December 2013

1739 – Frescati House, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Built for the provost of Trinity College, John Hely Hutchinson, it was later acquired in the 1750s by the Fitzgerald dukes of Leinster. rescati became one of their three principal residences alongside Leinster...

26 November 2010

1740 – Obelisk, Castletown, Celbridge, Co. Kildare

Architect: Richard Cassels Designed by Richard Cassels, the obelish is 140 feet high and is composed of several arches, adorned by stone pineapples and eagles, topped by a massive obelisk pillar. Sometimes known...

31 December 2009

1740 – Powerscourt House, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Richard Cassels Just outside the village of Enniskerry, Powerscourt Estate dates from the mid-eighteenth century. The house was built for Richard Wingfield, a descendant of Sir Richard Wingfield, and a member of...

07 January 2010

1740 – The Alleys, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Behind St Peter’s Church of Ireland are these attractive houses built as a refuge for widows of clergy. There are four terraces of houses, each house of four bays and two storeys. The...

14 December 2009

1740 – Tyrone House, Marlborough St., Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Cassels designed this Dublin town house for Marcus Beresford, Earl of Tyrone, in Marlborough Street between 1740 and 1745. A fine example of Cassels’ robust sober style. The central Venetian...

03 July 2014

1742 – Obelisk, Killiney Hill, Co. Dublin

The Obelisk bears the inscription: “Last year being hard with the poor, walks about these hills and this were erected by John Mapas, June 1742.” The structure consists of a square base with...

09 December 2013

1743 – Church of Ireland, Drumcondra, Dublin

In 1743 the dilapidated old church of the parish of Clonturk was rebuilt by a Miss Coghill as a memorial to her brother, Dr. Marmaduke Coghill, who died in 1738. After the renovations,...

31 December 2009

1743 – Dunlavin Market House, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Richard Cassels The market house was built around 1743 and designed by Richard Cassels. Originally a cruciform building, the corners are filled by colonnades. All the archways have now been closed up,...