Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

14 December 2009

1740 – Tyrone House, Marlborough St., Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Cassels designed this Dublin town house for Marcus Beresford, Earl of Tyrone, in Marlborough Street between 1740 and 1745. A fine example of Cassels’ robust sober style. The central Venetian...

03 July 2014

1742 – Obelisk, Killiney Hill, Co. Dublin

The Obelisk bears the inscription: “Last year being hard with the poor, walks about these hills and this were erected by John Mapas, June 1742.” The structure consists of a square base with...

09 December 2013

1743 – Church of Ireland, Drumcondra, Dublin

In 1743 the dilapidated old church of the parish of Clonturk was rebuilt by a Miss Coghill as a memorial to her brother, Dr. Marmaduke Coghill, who died in 1738. After the renovations,...

31 December 2009

1743 – Dunlavin Market House, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Richard Cassels The market house was built around 1743 and designed by Richard Cassels. Originally a cruciform building, the corners are filled by colonnades. All the archways have now been closed up,...

06 May 2014

1743 – Hall’s Barn, Churchtown, Co. Dublin

The Bottle Tower or Hall’s Barn, was commissioned in 1743 by Major Hall of Whitehall House, Co. Dublin. Although the house is gone, the barn still stands, though in quite poor condition. Created...

25 May 2011

1743 – The Wonderful Barn, Leixlip, Co. Kildare

The Wonderful Barn is a corkscrew-shaped barn built on the Leixlip side of Castletown House Estate, which borders Leixlip and Celbridge, Ireland. Flanked by two smaller dovecote towers, it was built with the...

02 October 2013

1744 – Bessborough House, Fiddown, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Francis Bindon Large Palladian house with wings, designed by Francis Bindon around 1744 on the site of an earlier house. Later addition of a porch by Sir Thomas Manly Deane, who also...

18 February 2010

1745 – Leinster House, Kildare Street, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Leinster House was designed by Richard Cassels in 1745 for the Earls of Kildare and Leinster, The Fitzgeralds. At this time, this area was undeveloped and known as the lands...

04 April 2011

1747 – Woodstock House, Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Francis Bindon / William Robertson Originally built 1845-47 for Sir William Fownes to designs by Francis Bindon. Later extended with flanking wings by William Robertson in 1804-06. A later conservatory c.1860 was...


Skip to toolbar