Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Leinster

08 January 2010

1630 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

St Mary’s Church of Ireland is, curiously, incorporated into the outer wall of St Patrick’s College, and was originally built as a private chapel for the castle. In 1248, it was made a...

23 September 2014

1630s – Inchmore Castle, Co. Kilkenny

“This highly picturesque ruin is situated on the Nore, about four miles from Kilkenny, and derives its name, Inchmore, or the Great Island, from being nearly insulated by that beautiful river. It consists...

29 May 2014

1660s – Beaulieu, Co. Louth

The buildings at Beaulieu, evolved over time, from tower house to Jacobean building, finally being redesigned as a grand mansion, in the English style, by the Tichbourne family. As such, it is a...

29 March 2015

1673 – Blue Coat School, Dublin

In Oxmantown Green, the King’s Hospital or Bluecoat School, was erected between 1669 and 1673 as a free school for boys and an alms house for unprivileged. Officially the building was known as...

14 February 2014

1674 – Yarranton proposal for canals and harbour, Ringsend

Andrew Yarranton, (1619-1684), a former soldier in the English Civil War, travelled throughout England and northern Europe as civil engineer. He worked as a consultant and entrepreneur on mines, metalworks, canals, railways and...

25 January 2010

1680 – Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Robinson The Royal Hospital Kilmainham is a mile and a half west of the city centre and at the time of its construction the site was part of the Phoenix...

19 February 2010

1680 – State Apartments, Dublin Castle

The State Apartments in Dublin Castle were originally constructed as living accommodation for the Lord Lieutenant. The Lord Lieutenants preferred the comforts of the Phoenix Park residence however and tended to live there...

18 October 2012

1680s – Ballykilcavan House, Stradbally, Co. Laois

Ballykilcavan has full-height wings like flanking towers at the corners of the entrance front while similar towers on the rear of the house are now hidden by later extensions. These towers were a...

09 December 2011

1682 – Tholsel, Dublin

Architect: The name “Tholsel” is derived from two old English words: “toll”, meaning tax; and “sael”, or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the middle ages it served as court house,...

Skip to toolbar