Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Westmeath

14 February 2012

1780s – Baronston House, Ballynacargy, Co. Westmeath

Baronston also known as Baronstown, was a three-storey centre block joined to two-storey wings by curved sweeps. In 1903, a large, gabled, Edwardian villa was constructed on the site of the central block,...

03 February 2011

1802 – St Etchan’s Church, Killucan, Co. Westmeath

There has been a church on this site since the time of the Normans. The present church on the site dates from 1802. Inside this church is a 13th century font. On the...

31 December 2009

1810 – Athlone Castle, Co. Westmeath

Towards the end of the 12th century the Anglo-Normans constructed a motte-and-bailey fortification here. This was superceeded by a stone structure built in 1210, on the orders of King John of England. The...

23 March 2010

1812 – Design for Knockdrin Castle, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Richard Morrison Unexecuted design for countryhouse near Mullingar in Co. Westmeath. The client opted for a design by John Shiel instead, which still exists today and is a family home.

15 November 2013

1812 – Knockdrin Castle, Co. Westmeath

Architect: James Shiel Originally Sir Richard Morrison was requested to design the castle, but neither of his two designs were accepted. The client then contacted the Dublin architect and builder James Shiel probably...

12 July 2013

1813 – St Sinian’s Church of Ireland, Tyrrellspass, Co. Westmeath

This attractive church was largely built under the patronage of Jane Countess of Belvedere, who also laid out the crescent at this time and was responsible for the construction of many of the...

22 January 2013

1814 – Moydrum Castle, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Richard Morrison Described in 1837 by Lewis, “About a mile and a half from Athlone on the Leinster side of the Shannon is Moydrum Castle the handsome residence of Viscount Castlemaine a...

02 May 2013

1827 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Richard Richards / Rawson Carroll Designed by Richard Richards, an architect and builder from Roscommon, to the usual Board of First Fruits plan. Richards was responsible for several Church of Ireland buildings...

12 June 2013

1834 – St. Brigid’s Church, Raharney, Co. Westmeath

A simple T-plan catholic church constructed shortly after the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829. Typical of many constructed at this time, renovated by William A. Scott in 1903.


Skip to toolbar