Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Westmeath

03 February 2011

1838 – Killucan Market House, Co. Westmeath

Fine stone market building with five wide arched opening at ground level with two floors of storage above, reached by an external stair.

31 December 2009

1840 – Corpus Christi Church, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Joseph Welland An early-Victorian Gothic Revival church with an unusual combination of small belfry and large porch. It retains its original form and much of its original fabric and fittings. Built to...

31 December 2009

1844 – Bridge, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Thomas Rhodes The present ford bridge was built by Thomas Rhodes, a cousin of the famous Cecil Rhodes, to replace an earlier bridge constructed in the 16th century. Originally the bridge had...

04 September 2009

1850 – Middleton Park, Castletown Geoghegan, Co. Westmeath

Architect: George Papworth Middleton Park House was built by George Boyd-Rochfort in 1850 and designed by leading Irish architect George Papworth. Drawings of part of the interior were exhibited by Papworth during the...

31 December 2009

1850 – Railway Bridge, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: G.W. Hemans The bridge, which is 542 ft. long, was designed by G.W. Hemans, and built with an opening central span to accommodate the tall superstructures of sailing craft. It was built...

12 June 2013

1850 – St. Thomas Church, Rosemount, Co. Westmeath

Fine mid-nineteenth century Roma Catholic church that is quite reminiscent of earlier Board of First Fruits churches.

13 April 2012

1851 – Former MGWR Station, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany The MGWR Station or East Station was designed by John Skipton Mulvany and opened in 1851. It closed in 1985 when the station for Athlone was transferred to the...

31 December 2009

1858 – Railway Station, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: George Wilkinson This elegant Italianate station with its entrance through a recessed loggia of three arches was built to the design of George Wilkinson who is better known for his fine Harcourt...

31 December 2009

1861 – Allied Irish Bank, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: William G. Murray The Provincial Bank opened in Athlone in 1827. It was the first branch of a large commercial bank to be opened in the town. In 1861 the bank moved...


Skip to toolbar