Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Westmeath

31 December 2009

1861 – Allied Irish Bank, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: William G. Murray The Provincial Bank opened in Athlone in 1827. It was the first branch of a large commercial bank to be opened in the town. In 1861 the bank moved...

11 March 2014

1861 – Design for SS Peter & Paul Church, Moate, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John Bourke Although the foundation stone was laid in 1861, a disagreement between the architect John Bourke and the parish priest, in effect the client, meant that work stopped. Work began again...

02 May 2013

1861 – St. Mary’s Church, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John Bourke Constructed between 1857-61., and considered one of Bourke’s finest works. The exterior is dominated by the slender tower and spire, with a set of five lancets with alternating blanks and...

16 April 2013

1862 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Moate, Co. Westmeath

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Earlier church with new front, spire, and aisles added in 1860-62 by J.J. McCarthy. Dedicated in 1862, the internal work was finally completed by 1868. The interior was renovated in...

15 November 2011

1862 – Gateway, Knockdrin Castle, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John McCurdy Castellated entrance on Mullingar side of Knockdrin demesne, for Sir Richard Levinge, Bt.

25 March 2014

1864 – Design for Wesleyan Chapel, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Largely constructed as designed and still standing today. The adjoining resident was never constructed. “It is of Early English character, about 53 feet in length by 22 feet, terminating...

07 March 2013

1865 – Methodist Church, Northgate St, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Unusual looking Methodist church with two side gateways incorporated into the main facade, surmounted by two solid pinnacles. Like many Methodist chapels of the period in the UK, it...

16 April 2013

1870s – Church of the Most Holy Redeemer, Ballymore, Co. Westmeath

Quirky-looking church, originally constructed around 1845, with later additions from the 1870s. The tower was eventually completed in 1948 by Simon Aloysius Leonard. Known locally as the “Famine Church” as construction started at...

23 September 2015

1873 – Bishop’s Palace, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath

Architect: William Hague Built to designs by William Hague, at a cost of £10,000, after he won a competition forof its design. Designed in a severe Institutional gothic like many convents around Ireland....