Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Wexford

19 February 2015

1838 – Wilton Castle, Co. Wexford

Architect: Daniel Robertson A late 17th century house was subsumed into a much larger and ornate building designed by Daniel Robertson of Kilkenny in 1836-38 as a spectacular castle. The Alcock family had...

20 March 2012

1840 – Castleboro, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

Architect: Daniel Robertson Castleboro was a very large, imposing classical mansion built about 1840 for the 1st Baron Carew. The grand central block of the building presented the appearance of a Venetian Palace,...

18 March 2013

1843 – St. Patrick’s Church, Clonevan, Co. Wexford

Architect: Frederick Darley St. Patrick’s Church at Clonevan (also spelt Clonevin) is in the Church of Ireland parish of Ardamine, County Wexford in the Diocese of Cashel and Ossory. The church was erected...

14 March 2014

1845 – Wells House, Gorey, Co. Wexford

Architect: Daniel Robertson Tudor Gothic remodelling of house, and landscape scheme, in progress during the period 1835-45 for the Doyne family. The earlier house, originally built in the late 1600s, had been used...

01 March 2013

1846 – Old County Gaol, Wexford, Co. Wexford

The most striking element of the Old County Gaol is the curiously flat almost cardboard cut outcut-like entrance constructed in 1846. It is built of random squared rubble red sandstone and capped by...

31 December 2009

1855 – St. Aidan’s Cathedral, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin A monumental cathedral, the largest building in Ireland to designs prepared by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-52) reputedly based on Tintern Abbey in Wales. Due to fears of...

30 June 2010

1860 – Church of the Assumption, Wexford, Co. Wexford

Architect: Richard Pierce / J.J. McCarthy On of Wexford’s “twin churches”, these Neo-Gothic buildings were opened in 1858 and the twin spires are part of the unique skyline of the town. Each Church...

18 March 2013

1861 – Christ Church, Gorey, Co. Wexford

Architect: Joseph Welland Aan impressive church built in the ‘Modern English style’ to designs prepared by Joseph Welland on a site originally donated by Stephen Ram of nearby Ramsfort House. The church possibly...

31 December 2009

1862 – St. James’ Church, Foulkesmill, Co. Wexford

In the June 15th, 1862 edition of the Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette it reports that on Friday the 30th May “Two interesting events took place in the parish of Horetown. The consecration of the...


Skip to toolbar