Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
Architecture of Cork City

Architecture of Cork City

24 February 2012

1710 – Merchants Exchange, Cork

Architect: Twiss Jones Built between 1705 and 1710, for the conduct of business between Cork’s merchant classes, and replaced an earlier building at the junction of Castle Street & South Main Street. At...

29 March 2015

1715 – Green Coat School, Cork

In March 1715, construction started on two schools adjacent to the Green Coat Hospital for children of the Protestant faith. Boys were to be taught reading, writing and accounts whilst girls were to...

06 November 2009

1726 – St. Anne’s, Shandon, Cork

St. Anne’s in Shandon is known more for its bells than the structure that houses them, due to the famous song “The Bells of Shandon” written by Francis Sylvester Mahony. It is a...

03 February 2015

1738 – St. Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Built to replace a decaying medieval cathedral, it retained the tower and spire of the old cathedral. Completed in 1738, it was demolished in 1865 to make way for the present cathedral by...

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

06 November 2009

1770c – No. 74 South Mall, Cork

Like many of the large former residences in the area, this fine house boasts an above ground basement. This basement was used for trade, as many of the owners of these houses were...

07 February 2014

1815 – Imperial Hotel, Cork

The present main fa├žade and entrance to the Imperial Hotel was originally constructed as a separate commercial building on South Mall. The hotel was originally on Pembroke Street, and later combined with it.

19 July 2008

1818 – Custom House, Cork

Architect: William Hargrave The first known Custom House in Cork was built in 1724 in Emmet Place and is now part of the Crawford Art Gallery. In 1818 a new Custom House was...

08 February 2010

1828 – Christ Church, South Main St., Cork

Architect: George Pain / W.H. Hill Also known as Holy Trinity Church. Originally constructed in 1720 to a design by John Coltsman. By the 1820s, it was in a poor state of repair,...


Skip to toolbar