Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork City

13 March 2014

1860 – Penrose Quay Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The original railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway. Approached from Penrose’s Quay, and superceded by a new adjacent station in 1893 approached from Glenmire Road. The...

06 November 2009

1860 – The Assembly Rooms, South Mall, Cork

Architect Richard Brash & Robert Walker ‘The Assembly Rooms’, designed by Richard Rolt Brash c. 1860, originally known as ‘Protestant Hall’ hosting well know speakers and opera companies of the time. In 1911...

06 November 2009

1861 – St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Cork

Architect: Kearns Deane By popular local legend, the architect Kearns Deane gave his services free, although he was not a catholic. Perhaps as a member of the local Deane family of architects, he...

04 February 2014

1861 – St. Patrick’s Bridge, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson Fine masonry bridge with three elliptical archies to designs by engineer-architect Sir John Benson. It appears that he provided three designs for the site: one iron swivel; iron single...

12 September 2012

1862 – Unbuilt Design for St. Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Architect: E.W. Godwin Competition design from the 1862 competition published in The Building News, October 11th 1872. In February 1863, William Burges was declared the winner. His diary records his delight; “Got Cork!”,...

09 April 2013

1865 – Model Schools, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: James H. Owen Italianate school with campanile, finished externally in red and black brick with Portland stone dressings. Used as a school until the early 1990s, and now in use as a...

06 November 2009

1865 – Thomas Crosbie Holdings, 97 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William G. Murray One of the most magnificent buildings in Cork, the Italianate plazzo built for the ‘Provincial Bank of Ireland’, was designed by W.G. Murray. A substantial and well-maintained building, it...

30 November 2011

1866 – Design for St.Vincent’s Church and Presbytery, Cork

Architect: George Goldie Originally designed by its architect George Goldie as a retreat house, it was built in 1873 as a physical attachment to the west side of St Vincent’s Church. Wood engraved...

15 December 2011

1866 – S.S. Peter & Paul’s Church, Cork

Architect: E.W. Pugin Architecturally one of the finest churches in the city, the church was dedicated for worship on 29 June 1866. After an architectural competition in 1859, Pugin was awarded the commission...