Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork City

08 July 2015

1866 – The Munster Arcade, Patrick St., Cork

Architect: William Fogerty The Munster Arcade was one of the principal department stores in Cork. Based on St. Patrick’s Street, it traded until the 1970s. On the upper floors can be seen the...

15 January 2011

1867 – Theatre Royal, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The Theatre Royal was founded by the actor Spranger Barry and was opened in 1760. It was modelled on the Crow Street Theatre in Dublin where Barry had previously...

06 November 2009

1871 – 72 South Mall, Cork

Architect: Richard Brash End-of-terrace three-bay four-storey Georgian house from around 1770; that was remodelled and refronted in an Italian-Romanesque style in the early 1870s, by Cork Gas Consumers. It retains a fine stairs...

23 May 2014

1873 – Hickman Monument, Cork, Co. Cork

Architect: Samuel Murphy It has been our pleasing duty for some time past to record the great activity which prevails throughout the south of Ireland in all branches of the building trade, in...

23 September 2009

1875 – St Lukes, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson & William H. Hill Saint Luke’s Church of Ireland was the third church to stand on the site. Sir John Benson and William H. Hill designed the church in...

06 November 2009

1879 – Post Office, Cork

Architect: Jacob Owen / T.J. Mellon Large post office building with a fine curved façade with arcaded windows. Designed by Jacob Owen of the Board of Works and later extended by T.J. Mellon...

13 December 2011

1879 – S.S. Peter & Paul Presbytery & Schools, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Presbytery and schools for 740 children. Presbytery has hall, waiting and reception rooms on ground floor and 15 sitting and bedrooms on 1st floor, with 2 bathrooms. Tower, which separates...

06 November 2009

1880 – 39 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Corner-sited end-of-terrace six-bay four-storey former department store, built c. 1880, now in use as retail outlet and bank. Rendered parapet with moulded eaves course. Probably a good example of how this side of...

09 June 2010

1880 – Parnell Bridge, Cork

Architect: T. Claxton Fiddler The old Anglesea Bridge, built in the 1830s, could not cope with the volume of traffic using the bridge by the 1870s. Cork Corporation decided to replace the old...

Skip to toolbar