Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

06 November 2009

1890 – Former Woodford Bourne Store, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: W.H. Hill Turning the important corner of Patrick Street into Grand Parade, the former store of Woodford Bourne is now a fastfood outlet. Over each window on the main shopfront can be...

16 January 2014

1890 – Unbuilt Design for Holy Trinity, Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Competition entry to design a facade for Holy Trinity Church in Cork city by Pugin & Ashlin. The church was started in the 1820s to designs by George Pain,...

05 November 2009

1891 – Former Bank, Bantry, Co. Cork

Architect: W.H. Hill Former branch of the Provincial Bank, later merged into Allied Irish Banks.

22 January 2016

1891 – Furlong’s Mills, Kennedy Quay, Cork

Architect: James F. McMullen Also known as Marina Mills, demolished circa 1986, the ground floor walls have been kept as a site wall. Described in The Irish Builder, December 15 1890: “The bricks...

06 November 2009

1893 – Kent Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Bayley & Gordon The second station on this site, the original station was designed by John Benson and remains, although much altered, to the west of the existing building. Externally it was...

20 July 2015

1893 – Proposal for Custom House, Cobh, Co. Cork

Architect: Robert Cochrane “OUR illustration with this issue is that of the proposed Customs offices Queenstown County Cork, the original drawing of which was exhibited at the recent Exhibition of the Royal Hibernian...

30 May 2012

1900 – Hotel Metropole, Cork

Architect: Arthur Hill Ornate Victorian hotel with retail units at ground level. The building was largely rebuilt and extended during 1910-11 after a large fire. The photograph shows the building before the expansion.

06 November 2009

1902 – Beamish & Crawford Stabling, Cork

Architect: Houston & Houston The former Stables for the Beamish & Crawford brewery and now an enterprise centre, this is one of the best industrial buildings in the city. The corner office is...

02 April 2015

1902 – International Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Henry A. Cutler The 1902 Cork International Exhibition took place on 8 hectares of reclaimed marshland the Mardyke area of Cork, which is now Fitzgerald’s Park. Exhibitions included a Canadian pavilion, art...