Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

16 January 2014

1922 – Urban renewal proposal for Cork city

After the city centre of Cork was burned in December 1920, by a fire set by the Black and Tans as retribution for republican attacks, there was a debate on whether to re-build...

06 November 2009

1923 – Debenham’s, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie Replacing an earlier department store that was burned down in 1920 along with most of this part of St. Patrick’s Street. A distinctive design with the oddly shaped copper...

05 November 2009

1925 – Brown Thomas, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: Henry H. Hill Built in the 1920s to the design of architect Henry H. Hill, this building replaced an earlier department store on the site which was burnt in 1920 along with...

22 January 2015

1926 – Daly’s Bridge, Sundays Well, Cork

Architect: Stephen W. Farrington Completed in 1926, in wrought iron with timber walkway, by the London based David Rowell & Company to the designs of Stephen W. Farrington, the Cork City Engineer. The...

06 November 2009

1926 – Winthrop Arcade, Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie One of Munster’s oldest covered shopping arcades, Winthrop Arcade, built in 1926, has a distinctive mock Tudor façade. The original polished brass shop fronts with stained mahogany doors remain...

06 November 2009

1927 – No 48-49 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: W.H. Hill Former Burtons store on St. Patrick’s Street now in use by another retailer with upper floors used as storage. A very unsympathetic shop façade does this fine stone building no...

05 November 2009

1927 – No. 51 – 54 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: James F. McMullen Ornate large former department store building now divided into smaller retail units. The upper storeys look neglected and the whole building has a forlorn air. The property was Grant’s...

16 January 2011

1930 – Cork Gas Consumer Co., Patrick St., Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie Remodelled in an art deco style in 1930 by Daniel A. Levie. Demolished.

03 June 2011

1931 – Christ the King, Turner’s Cross, Cork

Architect: Barry Byrne According to Shane O’Toole, in a piece for The Sunday Times “Byrne (1883-1967), a protégé and friend of Frank Lloyd Wright, never set foot inside what he regarded as his...