Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

29 March 2015

1715 – Green Coat School, Cork

In March 1715, construction started on two schools adjacent to the Green Coat Hospital for children of the Protestant faith. Boys were to be taught reading, writing and accounts whilst girls were to...

06 November 2009

1726 – St. Anne’s, Shandon, Cork

St. Anne’s in Shandon is known more for its bells than the structure that houses them, due to the famous song “The Bells of Shandon” written by Francis Sylvester Mahony. It is a...

03 February 2015

1738 – St. Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Built to replace a decaying medieval cathedral, it retained the tower and spire of the old cathedral. Completed in 1738, it was demolished in 1865 to make way for the present cathedral by...

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

06 November 2009

1770c – No. 74 South Mall, Cork

Like many of the large former residences in the area, this fine house boasts an above ground basement. This basement was used for trade, as many of the owners of these houses were...

05 November 2009

1777 – Clock Gate, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: William Meade This is the third gate on this site in the town walls and was completed in 1777. The tower was used as the town gaol until 1837 and prisoners were...

05 November 2009

1798 – St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, Youghal, Co. Cork

21 January 2015

1800 – Castle Bernard, Bandon, Co. Cork

In 1788 Francis Bernard, the 1st Earl of Bandon demolished much of the old O’Mahony castle that previously stood on this site, and built a castellated mansion. It was of two storeys with...

05 November 2009

1804 – Christ Church, Church of Ireland, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: Abraham Hargrave Church of Portland stone with tower and spire on the site of 13th century Cistercian abbey. The contractors were William Deane and William Kearns. According to Lewis’s Topographical Directory of...