Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

22 January 2015

1815 – Lord Bantry’s Cottage, Glengarriff, Co. Cork

Glengarriff Lodge began life as a modest hunting lodge constructed in the 1760s by wealthy Bantry lawyer Richard White. The family was later granted an hereditary peerage for its resistance to Wolfe Tone’s...

19 July 2008

1818 – Custom House, Cork

Architect: William Hargrave The first known Custom House in Cork was built in 1724 in Emmet Place and is now part of the Crawford Art Gallery. In 1818 a new Custom House was...

23 March 2011

1820 – Castle Freke, Co. Cork

Architect: Richard Morrison Ruined for many years, currently undergoing reconstruction.

05 November 2009

1820 – Houses, Wolfe Tone Sq., Bantry, Co. Cork

Semi-detached pair of houses, constructed around 1820, now in use as offices.

19 March 2012

1823 – Mitchelstown Castle, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain & George Pain In 1823, after his succession to his title, George, 3rd Earl of Kingston, demolished the previous Palladian house and replaced it with a new castle designed by...

08 November 2012

1825 – Convamore House, Ballyhooly, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Large classical house built on an elevated site overlooking the River Blackwater, constructed for the 1st Earl of Listowel. It remained the Irish seat of the family until it was...

23 March 2012

1825 – Design for Fota House, Co. Cork

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison An unbuilt scheme to enlarge the 18th century house at Fota. Ultimately, the Morrisons did extend the house but in a more restrained classical scheme. This scheme by William...

30 April 2010

1826 – St Patrick’s Pro-Cathedral, Skibbereen, Co. Cork

Architect: Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan A t-shaped church with galleried transepts, designed by Michael Augustine O’Riordan. O’Riordan, was born in Doneraile, Co. Cork circa 1780. He was a remarkable man by any standards....

08 February 2010

1828 – Christ Church, South Main St., Cork

Architect: George Pain / W.H. Hill Also known as Holy Trinity Church. Originally constructed in 1720 to a design by John Coltsman. By the 1820s, it was in a poor state of repair,...