Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

05 November 2009

1828 – St. Brendan the Navigator, Church of Ireland, Bantry, Co. Cork

Architect: Henry Edward Kendall Fine Regency Gothic church designed by English architect Henry Edward Kendall. Described by Samuel Lewis, in A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), as ‘a neat edifice in the early...

26 October 2012

1829 – Blackrock Castle, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Blackrock Castle was in the ownership of the City of Cork following a charter of James I to the City in 1608. The castle is later referred to in the...

06 November 2009

1831 – 80 South Mall, Cork

Architect: James Pain End-of-terrace seven-bay three-storey with attic premises in Victorian Italianate style, c. 1825; built as The County Club; only facade of original building remains; premises reconstructed, c. 1975. Unfortunately the originally...

21 November 2013

1834 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork

The church was built as part of the town planning scheme of George Kingston,the Earl of Kingston, on land donated by him in 1824. Described by Lewis as ‘a handsome cruciform edifice, in...

06 November 2009

1835 – Courthouse, Cork

Architect: George Pain / W.H. Hill Originally designed by the Pains in 1835, though built by the Deane family of architects. The interior was destroyed by a fire in 1891 and subsequently redesigned...

06 November 2009

1836 – St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Cork

Architect: George Pain An excellent classical portico supported by six Corinthian columns, all topped by a campanile, makes this one of Cork’s finest classical buildings. The campanile is a cruciform tempietto supporting a...

05 November 2009

1838 – Protestant Almshouse, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: William Tinsley Reportedly designed in 1826 but not built for over a decade, the Protestant Asylum was built in 1838 by the Protestant Relief Society to provide rooms for the homeless. It...

06 November 2009

1839 – Savings Bank, Cork

Architects: Kearns Deane The result of an architectural competition held in 1839, the former Cork Savings Bank (now part of Trustee Savings Bank) was designed by the firm of Thomas and Kearns Deane...

21 January 2015

1840 – Bank of Ireland, 32 South Mall, Cork

Architect: Thomas Deane New bank by ‘Mssrs. Deane’, Thomas Deane & Co., comprising Thomas and his brother Kearns, on site formerly occupied by Harbour Commissioners’ office. Cost £3,500. Later alterations by Millar &...