Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

06 November 2009

1839 – Savings Bank, Cork

Architects: Kearns Deane The result of an architectural competition held in 1839, the former Cork Savings Bank (now part of Trustee Savings Bank) was designed by the firm of Thomas and Kearns Deane...

21 January 2015

1840 – Bank of Ireland, 32 South Mall, Cork

Architect: Thomas Deane New bank by ‘Mssrs. Deane’, Thomas Deane & Co., comprising Thomas and his brother Kearns, on site formerly occupied by Harbour Commissioners’ office. Cost £3,500. Later alterations by Millar &...

05 November 2009

1842 – Former Methodist Church, Bantry, Co. Cork

Architect: Richard Lee Builder: J. Murphy, Bantry.

13 December 2011

1847 – The Eglinton Lunatic Asylum, Cork

Architect: William Atkins Originally designed as three separate ranges spectactularly sited overlooking the river Lee. Constructed between 1847 and 1852, the ranges were linked by low arcades which also linked a chapel and...

13 December 2011

1847 – University College Cork

Architect: Thomas Deane One of three colleges constructed in Belfast, Galway and Cork, the original buildings of UCC were nominally designed by Thomas Deane. However it is now more accepted that most of...

22 January 2015

1849 – Monard Viaduct, Co. Cork

Eight-arch limestone built viaduct, opened 1849, carrying Cork-Dublin railroad over Blarney River. Rock-faced rusticated piers, walls, parapet walls and cut stone string course.

12 March 2014

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, Anglesea Bridge, Cork

Decorative archway built to welcome Queen Victoria to Cork. Similar archways were built in Belfast and Dublin to mark this and subsequent Royal visits. All were temporary structures.

06 November 2009

1849 – Shandon Butter Market, Cork

Architect: John Benson Built close to St. Anne’s, the former butter market was once the centre of Cork trade. This is the rear entrance with its triumphal archway flanked by coupled columns and...

18 September 2015

1849 – St. Peter’s Church of Ireland, Bandon, Co. Cork

Architect: Joseph Welland The first church built on the present site was in 1614 with the help of Richard Boyle, the Earl of Cork. The town walls enclosed the church and the church...