Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

21 August 2013

1851 – St. Maries of the Isle Mercy Convent, Sharman Crawford St., Cork

Architect: William Atkins Published in The Building News, December 7 1850. Constructed in red sandstone with limestone dressings. The proposed spire was never completed. Described at the time of constructed as: “This building...

23 April 2012

1852 – Cork & Bandon Railway Station, Albert Quay, Cork

Architect: Joshua Hargrave Railway terminus on Albert Quay for the Cork & Bandon Railway. The railway company changed its name to Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway in 1888 and became part of...

01 December 2011

1852 – National Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The National Exhibition was housed in a cruciform building, with four ‘transepts’, specially designed and erected at the Corn Exchange on Albert Quay, the site of the present City...

05 November 2009

1853 – St. Brendan’s National School, Bantry, Co. Cork

The school was built in 1853 at the expense of Richard White, Earl of Bantry. It opened as a school on 29th January 1855 and opened as a National School on 1st May...

07 February 2014

1854 – Royal Cork Yacht Club, Cobh, Co. Cork

Architect: Anthony Salvin Designed by Anthony Salvin (1799-1881), a distinguished English architect and an expert in fortified architecture. He was involved in the restoration of many castles including the Tower of London and...

08 March 2013

1855 – Cork Opera House (The Athenaeum), Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson / C.J. Phipps The building, originally called ‘The Athenaeum’, was finished by early 1855. It hosted its first performance on 29 January 1855, a concert in aid of the...

06 November 2009

1855 – National Irish Bank, 71 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William Caldbeck Good quality bank branch on South Mall. Much closer in size to bank branches in Irish country towns rather than other banks along the mall. Of five bays, the two...

03 February 2015

1855 – The Clock House, Mallow, Co. Cork

Architect: Sir Charles Jephson-Norreys The Clock House was build around 1855, by Sir Charles Denham Orlando Jephson-Norreys, an amateur architect, who is said to have designed this house after he had returned from...

08 March 2013

1858 – Royal Victoria Hotel & Baths, Glenbrook, Co. Cork

Glenbrook was originally a seaside resort with facilities such as Turkish Bath-houses which became established there. The first of these was the Royal Victoria Monkstown and Passage Baths, which opened in 1838. This...