Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

09 April 2013

1865 – Model Schools, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: James H. Owen Italianate school with campanile, finished externally in red and black brick with Portland stone dressings. Used as a school until the early 1990s, and now in use as a...

06 November 2009

1865 – Thomas Crosbie Holdings, 97 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William G. Murray One of the most magnificent buildings in Cork, the Italianate plazzo built for the ‘Provincial Bank of Ireland’, was designed by W.G. Murray. A substantial and well-maintained building, it...

30 November 2011

1866 – Design for St.Vincent’s Church and Presbytery, Cork

Architect: George Goldie Originally designed by its architect George Goldie as a retreat house, it was built in 1873 as a physical attachment to the west side of St Vincent’s Church. Wood engraved...

15 December 2011

1866 – S.S. Peter & Paul’s Church, Cork

Architect: E.W. Pugin Architecturally one of the finest churches in the city, the church was dedicated for worship on 29 June 1866. After an architectural competition in 1859, Pugin was awarded the commission...

23 September 2009

1867 – Convent of Mercy, Skibbereen, Co. Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin This chapel, just erected by Mr. W. Murphy, Bantry, has been dedicated. It is in connection with the existing convent, which is situated on an elevation at eastern entrance...

23 September 2009

1867 – Saint Patrick’s Church, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Originally designed by the Pain brothers in 1836, the interior is Gothick in style with later fittings by S.F. Hynes. The exterior however is by E.W. Pugin and G.C....

15 January 2011

1867 – Theatre Royal, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The Theatre Royal was founded by the actor Spranger Barry and was opened in 1760. It was modelled on the Crow Street Theatre in Dublin where Barry had previously...

23 September 2009

1868 – Presbytery, Monkstown, Co. Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Designed by E.W. Pugin & G.C. Ashlin in 1868 while the church was under construction, the Presbytery shows much of Pugin’s hand than Ashlin’s. This is a fine Victorian...

23 September 2009

1869 – Ballyhooley Catholic Church, Mallow, Co. Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin “This church, of which we give an illustration, is to be erected on a suitable site near Mallow, Co. Cork, for the Rev. Mr. Burton. The architects have been...