Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Kerry

07 October 2014

1870 – Design for High Altar, Lispole, Co. Kerry

Architect: John Scannell Designed by Cork-based sculptor John Scannell. Published in The Irish Builder, October 1 1870.

19 October 2010

1870 – St Joseph’s Industrial School, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Institutional gothic school and adjoining monastery for the Christian Brothers. This school was implicated in the sexual and physical abuse inquiries into the industrial schools run by the catholic orders. The school was...

04 April 2014

1871 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Kilmoyley, Co. Kerry

Architect: George C. Ashlin Design published in 1868, but the foundation stone was not laid until 1871, with dedication in 1873. “Our principal illustration with this No. is a view of the Catholic...

03 April 2014

1871 – Co-operative Wholesale Society, Tralee, Co. Kerry

The Co-operative Wholesale Society, although it only commenced business in 1864, had by 1866 already established a depot in Ireland, at Tipperary, for the direct purchase of Irish produce. The policy of direct...

23 October 2015

1871 – Glenbeigh Towers, Co. Kerry

Architect: Godwin & Crisp Work began in 1867 on what was known as Headley Towers and also, Wynnes Folly. Constructed by Lord Headley – a very unpopular landlord who charged high rents to...

22 October 2009

1871 – Holy Cross Dominican Church, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Uncomplete, as the expected donations to complete the spire did not materialise. The interior has a lovely wooden roof supported by tall arches on marble shaft columns. The east...

18 August 2012

1877 – Cahernane House, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: J.F. Fuller Once one of the smaller country houses of the Herbert, Earls of Pembroke. Originally known as Cahirnane, it is a fairly plain house with gabled and large victorian plate glass...

02 October 2014

1877 – Presentation Convent, Dingle, Co. Kerry

Architect: J.J. McCarthy & C.J. McCarthy The main building was constructed in 1877 to designs of J.J. McCarthy under the supervision of his son C.J. McCarthy. By 1886, the son, later Dublin City...

15 October 2012

1878 – Killarney House, Co. Kerry

Architect: George Devey Designed as a replacement for Kenmare House of 1726 as the seat of the Earls of Kenmare. Legend has it that the site was selected by Queen Victoria on her...