Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Limerick

27 February 2014

1789 – City Gaol and County Court House, Merchant’s Quay, Limerick

Architect: William Blackburn Demolished in 1988 to facilitate the construction of the new City Council headquarters. Blackburn was a London architect and pioneer of radial planning in prison design. According to Lewis, “The...

22 May 2011

1790s – Mount Coote, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick

Fine Georgian residence of three storeys with single storey wings. Demolished in the late 1950s and replaced with a georgian-style house. Photograph from the Irish Tourist Association Survey 1943-44.

22 May 2012

1800s – Clonshavoy House, Co. Limerick

The Irish Tourist Association surveyor writes in 1944 that the house was interesting as it was the remains of a very old Elizabethan house. He says that more than half the house was...

02 May 2012

1811 – Black Abbey Church, Adare, Co. Limerick

The Trinitarian Order established their only monastery in Ireland in Adare in 1230. Ruined for many years, the Abbey was restored in 1811 by the first Earl of Dunraven as the Catholic Parish...

05 November 2012

1813 – Mountshannon House, Castleconnell, Co. Limerick

Architect: Lewis Wyatt The house was re-modeled in a neo-classical style after 1813 to the designs of Lewis Wyatt. The front 7-bay entrance was adorned by four ionic columns, the rear had a...

11 November 2009

1814 – Courthouse, Limerick

Architect: Nicholas Hannan Recently renovated with much work carried out on the interior and the exterior restored. While the building envelope retained much of its original form from this period, the interior however...

11 November 2009

1827 – St Munchin’s Church of Ireland, Limerick

Architect: James Pain Built in 1827 on the site of the original St Munchin’s church replacing a medieval church. It was renovated by the Civic Trust in 1980 and it is now used...

29 October 2012

1828 – Clarina Castle, Clarina. Co. Limerick

Architect: James Pain & George Pain Also known as Elm Park. Designed by the Pains, for 3rd Baron Clarina, in the late 1820s with further work by Rawson Carroll in the 1880s. Demolished...

11 November 2009

1832 – Adare Manor, Co. Limerick

Architect: James Pain Adare Manor was not always so imposing. In the 1820s the building was a refined Georgian house, without turrets and other elaborate details. However, Lady Caroline Wyndham wanted to give...