Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Limerick

26 February 2012

1841 – Limerick Union Workhouse

Architect: George Wilkinson Designed to replace the city`s overcrowded poorhouase, the new workhouse of 1841 was designed by George Wilkinson on an 11-acre site to the north-west of the city. Intended to hold...

11 November 2009

1844 – St Michael’s Church of Ireland, Limerick

Architect: James Pain / William Fogerty Prior to the construction of this fine Gothic church, there was an earlier Georgian church constructed with the development of Newtown Pery (the Georgian area of Limerick)....

27 February 2013

1845 – Leamy House, Upper Hartstonge St., Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: William Atkins Selected after an architectural competition, Atkins’s designs for the former Leamy School are in a Tudor Revival style with a central crenellated tower.

22 May 2013

1848 – Castle Oliver / Clonodfoy Castle, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.F. Jones Also known as Castle Oliver, and constructed by English architect George Fowler Jones between 1845-48 for sisters Elizabeth and Mary Isabella Oliver-Gascoigne. Constructed in the Scottish Baronial style of a...

22 May 2013

1848 – Clonodfoy Gateway, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.F. Jones Extravagent gateway and lodge by George Fowler Jones to accompany the grand baronial castle he designed for the Oliver-Gascoigne sisters. Quite a severe design, and quite brooding in comparison to...

13 December 2011

1856 – Protestant Orphan Society Hall, Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Published in The Builder, January 19, 1856. Two storey collegiate gothic orphanage now converted into offices. Original windows have been replaced with ugly uPVC versions.

07 March 2014

1858 – Cannock, Tait and Co. Department Store, Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Part of the building was constructed in 1858 and described in The Irish Builder, February 1 1859: “Messrs. Cannock, Tait and Co’s premises occupy a plot of ground 210 feet...

04 May 2011

1860s – McBirney & Co., Limerick

McBirney’s Drapery Emporium which was taken over by Roches Stores in the 1940’s, but was burned to the ground in a disastrous fire in 1948

08 February 2013

1860s – Turkish Baths, Charles St., Limerick

Architect: Richard Barter Turkish baths constructed to the Improved Turkish Bath principles of Dr. Richard Barter with a design by his nephew, also Richard Barter. Closed in the late 19th century.


Skip to toolbar