Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Limerick

11 November 2009

1884 – Bank of Ireland, O’Connell Street, Limerick

Architect: Millar & Symes Fine corner bank with large well-lit banking hall at ground level. The severity of the upper floors is contrasted with the large round-headed windows and gently curving entrance bay....

15 April 2012

1884 – St. Finnian’s Church, Kilfinane, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Completed in 1884, but designed in 1877-78 with illustrations published in The Building News, March 22nd 1878.

16 February 2011

1889 – SS. Peter & Paul Church, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Building was commenced in 1879 when the Bishop of Limerick, Dr. George Butler laid the foundation stone on July 6th, but not completed until 1889 after the architect’s death. Simple...

15 March 2013

1901 – Presbyterian Church, Mallow St., Limerick

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Construction started on this red-brick church with Portland stone dressings in 1899, with dedication in 1901. Decommissioned as a church during the 1970s after which it was temporarily used as...

19 July 2010

1902 – Carnegie Library and Museum at Limerick

Architect: C.F.A. Voysey Unsuccessful entry for a competition for a new public library for Limerick. This design heavily influenced the 1912 Library, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin by T.J. Byrne.

01 September 2013

1903 – Mary Immaculate College, Limerick

Architect: W.H. Byrne The College was established as a dedicated primary teacher training college in 1898 by Bishop Edward Thomas O’Dwyer, Roman Catholic Bishop of Limerick and the Sisters of Mercy. Its foundation...

28 May 2013

1904 – St. Joseph’s Church, O’Connell Ave., Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett Not completed as designed due to the lack of money available, St. Joseph’s is clearly lacking a completed tower. Originally, it was intended to construct a fine hexastyle Corinthian...

28 May 2011

1904 – Unbuilt Design for St. Joseph’s Church, Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett Not completed as designed due to the amount of money available, Originally, it was intended to construct a fine hexastyle Corinthian portico to the front, as well as an...

27 February 2014

1905 – Shannon Rowing Club, Limerick

Architect: William Clifford Smith An architectural competition held in 1902 resulted in a commission for a young English architect, William Clifford Smith to design the club. Completed in 1905 at a cost of...