Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

30 April 2010

1826 – St Patrick’s Pro-Cathedral, Skibbereen, Co. Cork

Architect: Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan A t-shaped church with galleried transepts, designed by Michael Augustine O’Riordan. O’Riordan, was born in Doneraile, Co. Cork circa 1780. He was a remarkable man by any standards....

11 November 2009

1827 – St Munchin’s Church of Ireland, Limerick

Architect: James Pain Built in 1827 on the site of the original St Munchin’s church replacing a medieval church. It was renovated by the Civic Trust in 1980 and it is now used...

08 February 2010

1828 – Christ Church, South Main St., Cork

Architect: George Pain / W.H. Hill Also known as Holy Trinity Church. Originally constructed in 1720 to a design by John Coltsman. By the 1820s, it was in a poor state of repair,...

29 October 2012

1828 – Clarina Castle, Clarina. Co. Limerick

Architect: James Pain & George Pain Also known as Elm Park. Designed by the Pains, for 3rd Baron Clarina, in the late 1820s with further work by Rawson Carroll in the 1880s. Demolished...

05 November 2009

1828 – St. Brendan the Navigator, Church of Ireland, Bantry, Co. Cork

Architect: Henry Edward Kendall Fine Regency Gothic church designed by English architect Henry Edward Kendall. Described by Samuel Lewis, in A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), as ‘a neat edifice in the early...

26 October 2012

1829 – Blackrock Castle, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Blackrock Castle was in the ownership of the City of Cork following a charter of James I to the City in 1608. The castle is later referred to in the...

08 May 2013

1830c – Strancally Castle, Co. Waterford

Architect: George Pain Lewis in his Topographical Dictionary refers to Strancally Castle as “a modern castle, seat of J. Keily” in 1837. It stands in front of the original ruin of a Desmond...

06 November 2009

1831 – 80 South Mall, Cork

Architect: James Pain End-of-terrace seven-bay three-storey with attic premises in Victorian Italianate style, c. 1825; built as The County Club; only facade of original building remains; premises reconstructed, c. 1975. Unfortunately the originally...

09 March 2010

1831 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

A cruciform structure with pinnacle gables, tower and a graceful spire, was built in 1831. It has two memorials to the soldiers of “The Great War” (1914-1918). On an interior wall at the...