Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

13 March 2014

1860 – Penrose Quay Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The original railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway. Approached from Penrose’s Quay, and superceded by a new adjacent station in 1893 approached from Glenmire Road. The...

06 November 2009

1860 – The Assembly Rooms, South Mall, Cork

Architect Richard Brash & Robert Walker ‘The Assembly Rooms’, designed by Richard Rolt Brash c. 1860, originally known as ‘Protestant Hall’ hosting well know speakers and opera companies of the time. In 1911...

18 October 2012

1860s – Ardfinnan Castle, Cahir, Co. Tipperary

Ardfinnan Castle was originally built circa 1186 to guard the river crossing on the River Suir, seven miles west of Clonmel. It was preserved as a military stronghold until the year 1649, when...

15 October 2012

1860s – Derryquin Castle, Sneem, Co. Kerry

Architect: J.F. Fuller Designed by James Franklin Fuller, built for the Bland family. The main block was of three storeys, with a four-storey octagonal tower running through its centre. The entrance door was...

04 May 2011

1860s – McBirney & Co., Limerick

McBirney’s Drapery Emporium which was taken over by Roches Stores in the 1940’s, but was burned to the ground in a disastrous fire in 1948

08 February 2013

1860s – Turkish Baths, Charles St., Limerick

Architect: Richard Barter Turkish baths constructed to the Improved Turkish Bath principles of Dr. Richard Barter with a design by his nephew, also Richard Barter. Closed in the late 19th century.

20 December 2012

1861 – Church of the Holy Cross, Tramore, Co. Waterford

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The interior of this fine gothic revival church has been completely vandalised by the movement interpreting the Vatican II guidelines. Instead of fine marble fittings, the interior has a rough...

12 July 2012

1861 – Post Office, Clonakilty, Co. Cork

Former Presbyterian Church, now converted into a local Post Office. The church was taken over by the department of Post and Telegraphs in 1924.

11 November 2009

1861 – St John’s Cathedral, Limerick

Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick The English architect of St. John’s Cathedral, Philip Charles Hardwick was at work at Adare Manor when he was commissioned to design this Roman Catholic cathedral. the main body...


Skip to toolbar