Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

12 September 2012

1862 – Unbuilt Design for St. Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Architect: E.W. Godwin Competition design from the 1862 competition published in The Building News, October 11th 1872. In February 1863, William Burges was declared the winner. His diary records his delight; “Got Cork!”,...

14 October 2012

1863 – Convent of Mercy, Templemore, Co, Tipperary

Opened in 1863, with the chapel added later by George C. Ashlin.

21 August 2013

1863 – McCarthy Memorial, Mallow, Co. Cork

Architect: J.J. McCarthy From The Builder, January 30 1864: “This monument, recently erected in the parish church of Mallow, county Cork, in memory of the late Very Rev. Justin Canon McCarthy, is composed...

19 March 2013

1864 – North Station, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Waterford originally had two railway stations – the North Station, where the current station is today – and the South Station, near the old Waterford Stanley plant. The station opened on 26 August...

03 July 2014

1865 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Killenaule, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Designed by leading Irish church architect J.J. McCarthy, the foundation stone was laid in 1859, with the church largely complete and used for mass by 1865. Not built as illustrated,...

02 February 2015

1865 – High Altar of St Alphonsus Liguori, Limerick

Architect: George Goldie High altar and reredos, designed by George Goldie, in church previously constructed to the designs of Philip Hardwick.

09 April 2013

1865 – Model Schools, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: James H. Owen Italianate school with campanile, finished externally in red and black brick with Portland stone dressings. Used as a school until the early 1990s, and now in use as a...

06 November 2009

1865 – Thomas Crosbie Holdings, 97 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William G. Murray One of the most magnificent buildings in Cork, the Italianate plazzo built for the ‘Provincial Bank of Ireland’, was designed by W.G. Murray. A substantial and well-maintained building, it...

30 November 2011

1866 – Design for St.Vincent’s Church and Presbytery, Cork

Architect: George Goldie Originally designed by its architect George Goldie as a retreat house, it was built in 1873 as a physical attachment to the west side of St Vincent’s Church. Wood engraved...