Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

28 July 2015

1869 – High Altar, Lattin, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Earley & Powells “The altar and reredos, illustrated in our present number, are made in Caen stone, Irish and Italian marbles. The altar-table is one slab of Sicilian marble, supported by Galway...

23 September 2009

1869 – Park House, Co. Cork

Architect: Henry Hill Extended and altered for Charles Talbot Ponsonby in 1867. “With this number we present our readers with a lithograph illustration of Park House, County Cork, the residence of Charles Talbot...

04 April 2014

1869 – St Moling & St Carthage Church, Brosna, Co. Kerry

Architect: George C. Ashlin Revised design for catholic church in Brosna -the initial design had a tower and spire, but due to costs, a simple belfry on the west facade was decided upon....

09 October 2015

1869 – Waterpark, Castleconnell, Co. Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Constructed in 1866-69 – Fogerty’s Victorian villa was a new house in front of existing one, which has been converted into subsidiary offices. For John Lecky Phelps. Published in The...

22 January 2015

1870 – Chapel, Loreto Convent, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Extending an already established convent, Ashlin designed a new wing comprising recreation hall and dormitory, and chapel. Started in 1868, the dedication of the church was held on 16 April...

18 October 2011

1870 – Bank of Ireland, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Architect: Sandham Symes Still in use today, although a more recent banking hall has been constructed in front of the original house. The original house was converted to a bank by Sandham Symes...

04 May 2014

1870 – Cahermoyle House, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present house was built in the early 1870s by Edward O’Brien, son of William Smith O’Brien replacing an earlier house which was the home of his grandmother the Dowager...

24 October 2011

1870 – Convent of Mercy, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Church added by Ashlin to existing convent of around 1846.

07 October 2014

1870 – Design for High Altar, Lispole, Co. Kerry

Architect: John Scannell Designed by Cork-based sculptor John Scannell. Published in The Irish Builder, October 1 1870.

19 October 2010

1870 – St Joseph’s Industrial School, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Institutional gothic school and adjoining monastery for the Christian Brothers. This school was implicated in the sexual and physical abuse inquiries into the industrial schools run by the catholic orders. The school was...