Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

26 March 2013

1868 – Church of the Sacred Heart, The Crescent, Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett / W.H. Byrne Designed by local architect William Edward Corbett, but possibly to plans by Charles Geoghegan. The new church was to be incorporated into the Georgian terrace, t-shaped,...

23 September 2009

1868 – Presbytery, Monkstown, Co. Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Designed by E.W. Pugin & G.C. Ashlin in 1868 while the church was under construction, the Presbytery shows much of Pugin’s hand than Ashlin’s. This is a fine Victorian...

23 September 2009

1869 – Ballyhooley Catholic Church, Mallow, Co. Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin “This church, of which we give an illustration, is to be erected on a suitable site near Mallow, Co. Cork, for the Rev. Mr. Burton. The architects have been...

09 February 2013

1869 – Church of St. Cronan, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

Architect: William Deane Butler / John Sterling Butler Work on Roscrea’s fine Roman Catholic church took many years, with the foundation stone being laid in 1843. However the Famine stalled work, and it...

23 September 2009

1869 – Park House, Co. Cork

Architect: Henry Hill Extended and altered for Charles Talbot Ponsonby in 1867. “With this number we present our readers with a lithograph illustration of Park House, County Cork, the residence of Charles Talbot...

04 April 2014

1869 – St Moling & St Carthage Church, Brosna, Co. Kerry

Architect: George C. Ashlin Revised design for catholic church in Brosna -the initial design had a tower and spire, but due to costs, a simple belfry on the west facade was decided upon....

22 January 2015

1870 – Chapel, Loreto Convent, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Extending an already established convent, Ashlin designed a new wing comprising recreation hall and dormitory, and chapel. Started in 1868, the dedication of the church was held on 16 April...

18 October 2011

1870 – Bank of Ireland, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Architect: Sandham Symes Still in use today, although a more recent banking hall has been constructed in front of the original house. The original house was converted to a bank by Sandham Symes...

04 May 2014

1870 – Cahermoyle House, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present house was built in the early 1870s by Edward O’Brien, son of William Smith O’Brien replacing an earlier house which was the home of his grandmother the Dowager...