Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

12 November 2015

1882 – Church, Killusty, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Walter G. Doolin Illustration published in 1890 in The Irish Builder after the church was erected “some time”. As built, it has a bell-cote to the main gable frontage. The interior has...

20 February 2014

1882 – Design for Waterford City Markets

Architect: Walter G. Doolin As a result of an architectural competition held in 1880, Walter G. Doolin`s designs for a new markethall were adopted. The building was completed by 1882 at a cost...

12 June 2013

1883 – City Hall, Albert Quay, Cork

Cork City Hall began its life as the City’s Corn Exchange, the main frontage of which was constructed in 1843. The location was also used by two industrial exhibitions in 1852 and 1883,...

24 February 2012

1883 – Irish Industrial Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker The Cork Industrial and Fine Art Exhibition of 1883 was visited by over 10,000 people. Amongst the main exhibitions was a popular arts hall, which was seen as a reflection...

11 November 2009

1884 – Bank of Ireland, O’Connell Street, Limerick

Architect: Millar & Symes Fine corner bank with large well-lit banking hall at ground level. The severity of the upper floors is contrasted with the large round-headed windows and gently curving entrance bay....

31 August 2012

1884 – St. Carthage’s Church, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Architect: Walter G. Doolin St Cartage’s Parish Church was officially opened in 1884, and is regarded as one of the finest examples of Lombardo-Romanesque churches in Ireland. Red sandstone, quarried locally, and white...

15 April 2012

1884 – St. Finnian’s Church, Kilfinane, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Completed in 1884, but designed in 1877-78 with illustrations published in The Building News, March 22nd 1878.

13 November 2009

1885 – Former Greyfriar’s Church, Waterford

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew An appealing small-scale Gothic Revival Methodist Church, designed by Sir Thomas Drew. Although extensively re-modelled to the interior to accommodate its present use as an art gallery, the exterior...

11 June 2014

1885 – Holy Ghost Hospital, Waterford

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Founded in 1545, in the nineteenth century the hospital removed to the suburbs and in 1882 construction of the present hospital was started. A stone over the main entrance reads...