Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

06 June 2013

1669 – Crotta House, Kilflynn, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison Original house of 1669, owned by the Ponsonby family. Additions of 1819 in a Jacobean style to the existing house by Sir Richard Morrison, who added gables and the curvilinear...

12 October 2012

1675 – Cloughjordan House, Co. Tipperary

A 17th century house built on to a pre-existing medieval tower house, and further extended in the 18th century, with extensive 19th century and later farm buildings. The grounds contain the remains of...

02 February 2015

16th C. – Old Baal’s Bridge, Limerick

Medieval bridge with housing, demolished in the 1820s. During the demolition a significant archaeological object was found in the foundations of the old bridge – a brass Square of Freemasonry symbolism was found...

04 March 2012

1702 – The Exchange, Limerick

Architect: The Limerick City Exchange was built in 1673, close to St. Mary’s Cathedral to house the city’s covered market and council chamber. In 1702 the Exchange was demolished and replaced by a...

24 February 2012

1710 – Merchants Exchange, Cork

Architect: Twiss Jones Built between 1705 and 1710, for the conduct of business between Cork’s merchant classes, and replaced an earlier building at the junction of Castle Street & South Main Street. At...

09 August 2012

1710 – The Red House, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: Leuventhen Designed by the Dutch architect and builder Leuventhen, it was completed between 1703 and 1710 (dates vary) for the Uniacke family using imported red bricks as the quality of local brick...

21 January 2015

1714 – Palace Anne, Co. Cork

Named after Anne LePoer, wife of Arthur Bernard, who built the house in 1714. Lewis describes it as “a stately mansion, beautifully situated”. The house became dilapidated after the sale by the Bernards...

29 March 2015

1715 – Green Coat School, Cork

In March 1715, construction started on two schools adjacent to the Green Coat Hospital for children of the Protestant faith. Boys were to be taught reading, writing and accounts whilst girls were to...

06 November 2009

1726 – St. Anne’s, Shandon, Cork

St. Anne’s in Shandon is known more for its bells than the structure that houses them, due to the famous song “The Bells of Shandon” written by Francis Sylvester Mahony. It is a...

Skip to toolbar