Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

03 February 2015

1738 – St. Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Built to replace a decaying medieval cathedral, it retained the tower and spire of the old cathedral. Completed in 1738, it was demolished in 1865 to make way for the present cathedral by...

11 November 2009

1740 – Former Archbishop’s Palace, Limerick

Formerly the home of the Protestant bishop of Limerick, this is a fine house with central door, five bays. The house is currently occupied by Limerick Civic Trust, and visitors are welcome. A...

03 February 2015

1741 – Dromoland Belvedere, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Co. Clare

Architect: John Aheron The Belvedere on Tower Hill was designed by the architect John Aheron and was built in the early eighteenth century by Sir Edward O’Brien for viewing horse-racing. The building has...

13 November 2009

1746 – Bishop’s Palace, Waterford

Architect: John Roberts Designed by local architect John Roberts, this is one of a cluster of his building in the immediate vicinity: City Hall and Christchurch Cathedral being adjacent. Built in a very...

11 November 2009

1751- John’s Square, Limerick

Architect: Francis Bindon Limerick was still a fortified city when John Pardon and Edmund Sexton started work on the building of New Square, now known as John’s Square. This development designed by Francis...

05 November 2011

1760s – Devon Castle, Newcastle West, Co. Limerick

The original Fitzgerald castle was granted to the Courtenay family in 1591. The Castle was occupied by David Mahony and his son Peirce Mahony in the mid 18th century. Bence Jones writes that...

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

11 November 2009

1769 – Hunt Museum (former Custom House), Limerick

Architect: Davis Ducart The Custom House was designed by Italian architect Daviso de Arcort better known as Davis Ducart. Davis Ducart was well known in Ireland for his work in smaller country houses....

23 March 2013

1770 – Greenmount, Co. Limerick

Built in 1770, a large two storey house over basement, home of the Green family. In the 1960s the house was demolished and a large modern house built by the Earl of Harrington.